The How-to of Direct Deposit of Your Government Payments
If you are receiving payments from the Government of Canada such as (but not limited to) the Canada Child Benefit payments, GST/HST Tax Credits, or a pension cheque, consider the time it takes you to take it to the bank and make your deposit. Often, it’s inconvenient, eating up your lunch hour, making you scramble after work or interrupting your weekend. If you are doing that, you are in the minority, because 80% of federal government payments are made by direct deposit.
80% of federal government payments are made by direct deposit.
The Government of Canada makes it easy to enroll in the Direct Deposit Program. Follow the link just provided and you will find information and how-to videos. You can enroll online, in person, by phone or snail mail. So here are some handy tips to join the majority enjoying direct deposit.
Who can enroll? You are receiving one (or more ) of the following:
- GST / HST Tax Credit
- Canada Child Benefit
- Old Age Security
- Income Tax Refund by Cheque
What information do you need to provide?
- The form will show you the items mentioned in the previous section and you simply check the relevant ones to you.
- Your name, address and date of birth.
- Your social insurance number.
- A void cheque from your bank.
What do you do if you need help?
- Your bank will be able to help you.
- You can also call the government at the following numbers.
Canada Revenue Agency 1 – 800 – 959 – 8281
- Income Tax Refund
- Goods and Services Tax (GST) / Harmonized Sales Tax (HST) Credit and any similar provincial and territorial payments
- Canada Child Benefit ( CCB ) and any similar provincial and territorial payments
- Working Income Tax Benefit
- Deemed Over-payment of Tax
Service Canada: 1 – 800 – 277 – 9914
- Canada Pension Plan ( CPP )
- Old Age Security ( OAS )
Service Canada: 1 – 800 – 206 – 7218
- Employment Insurance ( EI )
Service Canada: 1 – 800 – 561 – 7922
- Canadian Government Annuities
Service Canada: 1- 866 – 724 – 3644
- Apprenticeship Grants
Government of Canada Pension Center 1- 800 – 561 – 7930
- Federal public service pension plan
What are the benefits of direct deposit?
- You don’t gave to physically go to the bank.
- The money is available the moment it’s deposited.
- The program is also available to businesses as well as individuals living outside the country.
So, put an end to the hassle of processing a cheque manually. You might also think about getting your company to deposit your salary through direct deposit. When you do, you can take advantage of a Cashco EveryDay Use account, which provides an automatic $25 overdraft, which you can increase up to $500.